What Cell Culture Benefits for Health Field and Industries?
- 08, Oct 2021 12:01
As time goes on, then everything related to it also develops, especially in the field and industry of biotechnology. Biotechnology stands for biology and technology, both of them have been an important part of people's lives since old times. In the field of biotechnology, there are many sciences and techniques that are used for many purposes, especially for the development of the cultivation of living things, one of the techniques in biotechnology is cell culture techniques.
What is Cell Culture?
Culture and cells have 2 different meanings, culture is a process of reproduction or cultivation, while cells are part of the tissues of living things. Cell culture is often referred to as cell line, this is a cultivation process carried out by taking cells from the original tissue in enzymatic, mechanical, and chemical separation which will later be developed and reproduced in order to produce new cells or multiply the cell numbers.
Cell culture is derived from cell parts found in living things tissues, including animals and plants. For humans, cell culture techniques can be used to carry out the development and growth of epithelial cells, blood, ovaries, brain, and other organs, including cells from cancer tissue.
The cell culture process is a technique that has been very well known for a long time in the biotechnology industry and as time goes on the cell culture method has become more advanced and has benefits for humans, nowadays even the cell culture process has become a source of knowledge to study the process of changing tissue or cell function without any systematic influence.
Scientists often carry out cell culture processes for ecological, cell, activity, intracellular and extracellular research, intracellular flux, and many more. Because it has many benefits for research, cell culture is currently widely used not only in the field of biotechnology, but also in many fields such as biopharma and health, even in the body of biopharma, cell culture is used for vaccine production, drug discovery and development, monoclonal antibodies, anticoagulants, recombinant protein production, etc. In the process, cell culture usually uses laboratory equipment such as a biosafety cabinet and incubator, etc.
The Benefits of Cell Culture for Health Field and Industries
- Stem Cell. Stem cells are the process of growing new cells or making replicas of cells in body organs that have the same characteristics such as the shapes and functions as the original cells. Stem cells are able to differentiate into more than one cell type, and have more new conditions, that's why stem cells are considered more mature than the original cells. The stem cell process is widely used to treat hematological disorders and degenerative diseases, including diabetes, stroke, heart disease, Parkinson's disease, cancer, and can even be used for cosmetic techniques.
- IVF Technology. IVF technology stands for In Vitro Fertilization technology, this is the process of making IVF that fertilizes eggs outside the body or in vitro. IVF is done when there are problems with the reproduction of offspring in a couple. The usefulness of the cell culture process is applied to IVF technology to help separate ovum cells in women and are fertilized by men sperm cells in the laboratory. The process of cell culture in IVF is usually carried out for +/- 2-6 days, then after completion, the results will be inserted into the uterus in the woman's body so that she can get pregnant.
- Monoclonal Antibodies. Monoclonal antibodies are specific antibodies that have one specific antigen. Monoclonal antigens are generated using the benefits of cell culture techniques that combine normal B cells (immune cells) with tumor cells. This cell culture process can be done by immunization, fusion, and cloning. Monoclonal antibodies can be useful for treatment, clinical diagnosis, research samples, providing and growing the body's defence, and also fighting cancer.
- Production and Development of Vaccines and Insulin Hormones. Cell culture in healthcare can help produce and develop vaccines and hormones. As we already know, vaccines are the most effective method to help prevent and reduce the presence of very dangerous infectious diseases, such as the corona virus or SARS-CoV-2, smallpox, influenza, ebola, polio, and many more. Vaccines contain antigens that are similar to the virus that causes disease, but have been attenuated and controlled. And for the insulin hormone produced using recombinant DNA techniques, it is useful for controlling sugar levels for patients with insulin diabetes. The insulin hormone is made by inserting insulin-forming genes into bacterial plasmids which will then be cultured in culture media.
- Drug discovery and gene therapy. Drugs and gene therapy also utilize cell culture techniques by integrating viral vectors in the body that have genetic disorders. The purpose of inserting this viral vector is to make the damaged gene network and smallpox can be replaced with new and normal ones.
So that's some information regarding the understanding and benefits of cell culture in the health sector. If you need equipment with sophisticated and latest automated systems related to cell culture processes for medical and laboratory needs in your workplace, contact and visit Hartech Indonesia at hartechindonesia.com. We will provide and support you with the best choice tools to carry out the cell culture process which are easy-automated and capable of providing comprehensive results faster, accurately, and flexibility.