Important Things to Pay Attention to When Using Hot Plates
- 21, Oct 2021 11:36
A hot plate is a laboratory tool that has a great function for laboratory research, especially for heating and homogenizing research samples / solutions. Hot plates that work for heating and homogenizing samples can cause potential hazards, such as burns, fires, electric shocks, skin blisters, and other serious injuries. Apart from work accidents, hot plates can also interfere with laboratory operations and can even eliminate scientific data if used in the wrong way. Therefore, to avoid the problems above and to keep the hot plate working process running smoothly and effectively, you need to pay attention to the following things that can be used as tips and guidelines when using a hot plate. Just take a look at the explanation below:
- Always make sure to turn off the hot plate when it is finished. Press the OFF button and unplug the cable connected to the electrical socket. Always make sure to turn off the heating power switch and the main hot plate power switch.
- When the hot plate is in the ON mode, do not allow the power cord or anything that can trigger an electric current to come into contact with the hot plate surface.
- Keep the hot plate away from the presence of flammable substances or chemicals that can trigger a fire. This is done to avoid fire and so that the surface and elements do not reach the highest temperature due to the presence of these chemicals or materials.
- Make sure the surface area of the hot plate is larger than the heated sample object. The surface area of the hot plate contributes to making the heat energy spread evenly throughout the sample object.
- Always put the boiling stone into the boiling solution so that the heating process can be carried out smoothly and quickly. Boiling stones are also used so that chemical explosions can be suppressed and do not come out of the sample container.
- Pay attention to the chemical glass container used, make sure the container is made of materials that are resistant to heat so it is not easily broken or cracked.
- Always control the stability of room air humidity and hot plate heat.
- Use a medium to medium-high setting to heat the sample. Do not use high settings to heat samples with low boiling points.
- Do not heat strong oxidizing agents when heating oil. Chemical reactions may occur if there is a leak or overflow.
- Avoid carrying out unattended high temperature / pressure reactions.
- Use gloves or thermal tongs to remove or pick up the hot objects from the hot plate.
So, those are some things to consider when you want to use a hot plate. Hopefully it can be useful and can prevent us from having work accidents, because if it happens, the laboratory, personnel, and the surrounding environment will get a big loss.
If you are interested and need a hot plate tool, visit hartechindonesia.com to get various types of hot plate equipment that you need and want in the laboratory or your workplace. We, Hartech Indonesia, provide you with two options of hot plate types, i.e. analog and digital systems. Our hot plate products are also equipped with advanced automated system devices and technologies imported from well-known international partner brands. Contact our team or request a quotation to us for more information.