Laboratory Thermometer, Measuring The Boiling Point
- 08, Oct 2021 12:11
Thermometer is a temperature measuring device, this tool has conventional (using mercury) and digital (automatic) systems, and has units of measurement in Celsius (0C), Kelvin (K), and Fahrenheit (0F). Thermometers have so many different functions, for example in health functions and laboratory functions. In health functions, the thermometer is usually used by the doctors for medical needs in measuring the patient's body temperature whether it is at a normal size temperature or not. Thermometers in health functions are known as clinical thermometers.
Meanwhile in laboratory functions, thermometers are usually used to measure air temperature, systems, and other objects in the laboratory. Laboratory thermometers are often used to conduct research like measuring the boiling point or freezing point of an object. Due to the differences in usage functions, laboratory thermometers have a larger and wider temperature scale than clinical thermometers, which range from -100C to 1100C, while clinical thermometers only range from 350C to 420C.
Types of Laboratory Thermometer
- Infrared Thermometer. Infrared thermometers are usually used in remote temperature measurements or only limited to temperature measurements on the surface of the object. Infrared thermometer uses infrared energy lenses to detect temperature’s size. This type of infrared thermometer is currently often used during the covid-19 pandemic, we often see officers who will check the temperature using a thermometer that is shoot at the person's forehead, the thermometer is known as a thermogun and is an example of an infrared thermometer because it uses infrared system to check the temperature.
- Liquid-in-Glass Thermometer. Liquid-in-Glass thermometer has a long shape and is equipped with a silver bulb at the bottom. The silver bulb is mercury which is used to determine the results of temperature measurements. If there is an increase in temperature the mercury will expand, while if there is a decrease in temperature the mercury will shrink. Liquid-in-Glass thermometer is a type of laboratory thermometer that is very often found and used in laboratories.
- Bimetallic Strip Thermometer. Bimetallic strip is made and consists of two metals that separate the low and high temperature coefficient levels. This thermometer is used to control the temperature in research activities and calculate the temperature of a substance or object. If the temperature result rises, the thermometer will move curved towards the metal that has a low temperature coefficient, while if the temperature result drops, the thermometer will move curved towards the metal that has a high temperature coefficient.
- Thermistor Thermometer. Thermistor thermometer is an abbreviation and combination of thermal and resistor. Thermistor thermometer is a type of digital laboratory thermometer. The way this thermometer works is easier and simpler because it measures the temperature automatically.
How to Use Laboratory Thermometer Properly
As we know that laboratory thermometers have very different functions from clinical thermometers. If a clinical thermometer is only used to measure the temperature of the human body, then a laboratory thermometer is used to measure the temperature of an object in the laboratory, for sure these objects contain hazardous chemicals, so the risk of contamination and danger is higher.
Here are some tips to know how to use a laboratory thermometer properly:
- Make sure it is always cleaned before use. This is done to clean the remnants of chemical substances attached in the thermometer, in order to prevent contamination of substances and damage to both the object being measured and the user.
- Always make sure the bottom of the thermometer does not touch the bottom of the container used to place the substance to be measured.
- Always avoid touching the thermometer directly or with bare hands. Make sure to always use hand protective equipment like gloves.
If you need laboratory thermometers with sophisticated and latest automated systems for medical and laboratory needs in your workplace, contact and visit hartechindonesia.com, for additional info you can contact our sales team or request a quotation to us.